Table Of Contents
50 Golf Cart Safety Tips
1. First of all, golf carts need to be regularly maintained and thoroughly inspected every day.
2. Golf carts should be driven only by licensed and authorized drivers.
3. Regardless of its size and primary function, the golf cart is still an automobile and you should always treat it as such.
4. If the golf cart is equipped with it, always put the seat belt on. Golf carts are far less protective than regular cars, especially because there are no doors and nothing else to hold you. Seat belts will keep you secure during the ride and lessen your chances for injuries in case of an accident.
5. Be responsible and never drive more passengers in the golf cart than there are seats. It can jeopardize everyone’s safety and lead to injuries or even rollovers. Golf carts are already less stable than regular cars, so the balance is truly important.
6. This is a given, but you should never operate any vehicle intoxicated or under the influence of narcotics. This goes for golf carts, too. This reckless behavior could put in danger you, other passengers in the cart, and everyone around the cart. It can also get you arrested. Avoid it at all costs.
7. Always obey all traffic and road rules and regulations.
8. The golf cart should be parked only in proper places and on hard surfaces. Avoid any unauthorized or potentially risky spots.
9. Never forget to set the brake when you park the cart, especially if it’s on some uneven terrain. It can easily roll away if you don’t do it, just like a regular car.
10. Restrain from excessive speeding. The speed of driving a golf cart is best kept below 15 mph (outside the standard road), and these vehicles are designed not to go over 20 mph. Otherwise, it can easily flip on one side, because these vehicles have a lower center of gravity. Be especially attentive if there are a lot of people around the cart. Slow driving is also better for the maintenance of the cart and preserving its battery.
11. No matter what kind of vehicle you operate, you should always be 100% focused on driving. Avoid any sort of distraction, such as eating, drinking, reaching for objects, engaging in conversation with other passengers, applying makeup. The only thing you should be looking around is the road and driving conditions.
12. Make sure that the arms and legs of all passengers are safely put inside the vehicle before you start driving. It should remain so during the whole ride until the motion of the cart completely stops.
13. The only exception for limbs outside the golf cart is when you have to manually signal your turn. Turn signals may easily be unnoticed by others, so you need to give a signal with your hand that you are about to turn. Always remember to do this.
14. You should always check blind spots before turning.
15. Avoid sharp turning, as well as sudden speeding. You want your driving always to be slow and steady.
16. Always drive responsibly. The golf cart is not a toy, and no matter how tempting at times it may seem, you should never take the driving as a joke or a game.
17. One of the most important things is: If you need to use your phone than safely park the cart if that is possible, or wait until the ride is finished. Never use the phone for any purpose while operating the vehicle. You may think that this rule doesn’t apply to golf carts due to low speed, but this is one of the most frequent causes of accidents.
18. Make sure that no one is standing in the cart in motion. Everyone should be safely on their seats for the whole time. otherwise serious injuries may happen. Falling from the cart is a very common incident.
19. Pay attention to the road in front of you and adjust your driving to those conditions. Always reduce the speed in the case of upcoming hills, declines, inclines or blind corners.
20. The keys should never be left in the golf cart unattended. Always take them with you in case of leaving the cart, because they should never be operated by an unauthorized person. This could be especially dangerous if there are some curious children close by.
21. Before driving, inspect if the brakes on the golf cart are functional.
22. Forward and reverse gears must be functioning to have a safe drive experience.
23. Try the horn to see if it works, and check the functional and hazard lights and alarm.
24. If any of the safety systems on the cart don’t work properly, then don’t use that golf cart.
25. The tires on the golf cart must not be inflated or worn out, make sure to check their condition before driving.
26. Be concentrated and try not to take your hands off the wheel. It takes just one second of carelessness for the accident to happen.
27. Golf carts are often equipped with special platforms on the back or the sides, and they are to be used only for transporting things. Other passengers should never stand or sit in this area during the ride.
28. Cargo and anything else in the cart should always be secured while the cart is in motion.
29. When there are pedestrians around the cart always reduce the speed to minimum, and always pay special attention if there are any disabled people, because they can’t react as fast as others, or in some cases, they can’t even know that the cart is coming.
30. Pedestrians have the right-of-way in every situation. You must always yield to them and be extra cautious.
31. In addition to pedestrians, you should always yield too larger vehicles, as well.
32. Every golf cart has the maximum weight capacity that it can take. Respect that and never overload the cart or it will lead to accidents and can seriously damage the cart itself.
33. A left turn from the golf cart lane can be extremely risky and dangerous. If you can, try to avoid it.
34. If you experience any maintenance problems, always report it so it can be taken care of (in case of a rented cart).
35. The golf carts should never be operated through buildings.
36. While backing up, always turn around and look behind, don’t rely solely on mirrors.
37. If possible, always check what kind of weather is predicted before the ride in the golf cart. They are prone to lightning strikes and driving any vehicle in bad weather conditions is much harder and more dangerous. In case of thunderstorms delay your drive, and if it happens suddenly while you are already in the golf cart, try to park it safely and not expose yourself and other passengers to any risk.
38. The golf cart should never be suddenly started or stopped, in favor of preserving the safety of everyone in and around the cart, but also the cart’s proper functioning.
39. It is highly important to have enough space around the golf cart to maneuver safely. Squeezing your cart through narrow and tight spaces is potentially very dangerous and you should avoid it even if it means that you need to go a different route. Safety must always be your primary concern.
40. Warn your passengers when you are about to turn the golf cart or in case you are heading towards some bumps on the road.
41. When your golf cart is on the main road or surrounded by a lot of traffic, you can move aside the rain flaps to attain a clearer vision of the situation.
42. Be extra careful when operating your golf cart around ponds or lakes.
43. Jumping out of the cart in motion is a very common cause of accidents and injuries. Warn your passengers against that before starting the cart.
44. Be kind and respect other drivers around you.
45. Never put the cart in motion until everyone inside of it are safe.
46. Don’t drive your golf cart at night (unless your local regulations allow it, in which case you need to be extra attentive).
47. If the cart is powered by gas, it is vital to be refueled in areas where there is no smoke or any kind of ignition source.
48. Battery-operated golf carts should be charged only in well-ventilated spaces. The battery needs to be correctly charged before the ride and it needs to be properly maintained. They can even explode due to mishandling and overcharging.
49. Beware of the holes on the road, or any unevenness.
50. Take care of the vegetation and don’t cause it any unnecessary damage.
How To Safely Drive A Golf Cart
FAQ Golf Cart Safety
Can golf carts be operated at night?
This may vary depending on the state and local regulations. In some places, these vehicles can only be operated from sunrise to sunset. Where the night driving is allowed, the carts must be properly equipped. This means that the cart has to have
Can golf carts be modified for use at a higher speed?
The carts that are powered by gasoline can be modified in this manner, but it is highly unadvisable. It is also against the law because it is not allowed to operate the golf cart at a speed higher than 20 mph. These vehicles are usually designed for this kind of speed, and in case of not following that rule, the chances for rollover become much greater. If that happens, you may also lose your insurance payment.
How to decrease the chances of passenger ejection from the cart, since there are no doors?
Passengers can use the hold bars in the cart to secure themselves and should always put the seat belt on. The key to the safe experience is to operate the cart slow and steady, without excessive or sudden speeding, sharp turns, and stops.
Can you get a traffic ticket on a golf cart?
When you drive a golf cart, all traffic rules apply to you in the same way as when you drive a regular car. This means that as a golf cart driver you are susceptible to any tickets or fines as other drivers are.
How old a person must be to be allowed to operate a golf cart?
The requirements vary according to different laws, but the operator of the golf cart must be at least 14 years old. It is not always necessary for the golf cart operator to be a licensed driver but in terms of safety that would be the best.
What are the most common ways to get injured in golf cart accident?
The most frequent is cart overturn, which is why speed regulations should always be followed. Common are collisions with other golf carts or stationary objects. When wearing a seat belt is disregarded, falling off of a moving cart can often occur. Injuries obtained from jumping from a golf cart in motion also happen a lot, which is highly advised to avoid it. The most common type of injuries are broken extremities, sprains and strains, but the most serious incidents can lead to head and spine injuries.
Can seat belts be installed if the golf cart is not originally equipped with it?
It can and it should since seat belts can improve your safety in a golf cart in a major way. Make sure that this is done by a professional.
What is a safe way to do a left turn?
You need to be very careful during this whole process. First, you need to give a signal that you are about to turn left. After that, merge with vehicular traffic just before the intersection. Next, turn while using proper signalization and turn lane where this is available. It is extremely important to remember that golf carts must always yield to other vehicular traffic, with no exceptions.
Are golf cart brakes the same as regular car brakes?
There are some differences since golf carts usually have brakes only on the rear wheels, which makes them less effective and stable.