Golfers are always questioning whether or not they need to wear golf shoes when they are out on the course.
As great as golf shoes can be, there are so many other options out there.
One of the most recent trends in golf is to wear trail running shoes.
Trail running shoes tend to have a very stable bottom, and it helps when golfers are playing courses that have a bit of difficult turf or wet conditions.
Trail running shoes are priced about the same as most golf shoes, but they often seem to be more comfortable for many players.
If you have thought about trail running shoes for golf, we have the top ten best options on the market.
Trail Running Shoes For Golf (Top 10 Options)
1. Adidas Men’s Rockadia Trail 3.0 Running Shoe
- Regular fit
- Lace closure
- Mesh upper
- Durable Adiwear outsole, Textile lining
- Built for running trails
- Rugged design will hold up a long time
- Very good bottom traction
Adidas makes some of the best golf shoes on the market.
If you are thinking of getting away from golf shoes and moving towards trail running shoes, the Adidas Rockadia could be a great choice to consider.
The Rockadia Trail 3.0 has a boot opening that makes it quite easy to get on, but it will not allow any debris to get down into your shoe.
One of the things that you will notice right away about the trail running shoes is that they are very comfortable.
In order to run on the hard surface that you typically find on trails, lots of cushioning must be built into the shoe.
The Rockadia has lots of extra cushioning, and if you are a player who enjoys walking the golf course, this is a pair of shoes that will work quite well for you.
- Great durability
- The dark color won’t show the dirt
- Nonslip will help on wet golf courses
- Not available in more than one color
2. New Balance Men’s Fresh Foam Roav Trail V1 Trail Running Shoe
- Comfortable Trail Running Shoes: Thanks to the Fresh Foam midsole cushioning, which is precision-engineered to deliver a cushioned, lightweight ride, these shoes are great for any run on the trails
- Supportive Running Shoes With a Great Fit: These stylish trail shoes feature an Ultra Heel design, which hugs the back of the foot for a snug, supportive fit
- Traction That's Built for Adventure: This durable pair of outdoor running shoes includes an AT Tread outsole with aggressive lugs to provide versatile traction during off-road activities
- Strong and Durable Running Shoes: The rubber sole on these New Balance trail running shoes offers not only traction but lasting durability for your adventurous life
- An Attractive Look: These cushioned running shoes feature a knit upper that acts as a perfect complement to the premium suede overlays, to give you a pair of shoes that look as great as they perform
- Made for playing on all different types of surfaces
- Lightweight cushioning
New Balance is known for taking their technology to a completely different level than other companies.
Comfort and cushioning are very important in a golf shoe.
Even if you don’t walk the golf course, keeping your feet comfortable and dry is essential.
In addition, the New Balance Fresh Foam is a good-looking shoe that will bring a sporty type look to your golf game.
If you are a person who likes to do more than one thing with your golf shoes, you can also run and play tennis with a shoe like this.
In addition to the comfort that the shoe offers, they are also very lightweight.
With a lightweight shoe, you will find that your feet feel less fatigued as you make your way through your round.
Golf shoes are known for being heavy, but they do not always need to be heavy to be effective.
Having the proper traction in a lightweight shoe can help you score lower on the golf course.
- Lots of cushioning
- Lightweight materials
- Stylish looking golf shoe
- Some sizes are quite expensive.
3. Saucony Men’s Mad River TR Trail Running Shoe
- The PWRFOAM midsole and EVERUN topsole work together to provide underfoot cushioning
- PWRTRAC tacky rubber, combined with a dual compound outsole, and rugged directional lugs give you confidence on any surface
- Two rows of eyelets provide endless lace configurations
- Gaiter compatible
- Integrated tongue helps keep debris out and has a gaiter-compatible D Ring to give the option of adding extra protection
- Rubber sole
- PWRFOAM midsole
- Tacky bottom
The Saucony shoes have always been known for being relatively high-end.
Since Saucony is a premium brand, you will notice that their shoes are typically priced a bit higher, but they are going to last quite some time.
The Saucony trail running shoe has a tacky rubber bottom, and it is a perfect choice to wear on a golf course with some slick turf.
Sometimes after a little bit of morning dew, a golf course can be very slippery.
When you are playing on a course that is wet, you need to be extra cautious about the way you are moving around.
The underfoot cushioning and anti-slip are going to make the Saucony a great trail running shoe to play golf in.
Saucony incorporates all types of high-performance technology like PWRFOAM and EVERUN to provide extra cushioning and support.
Overall, this is a shoe that will change your mind about what works on a golf course and what doesn’t.
- Combination of synthetic and mesh
- Plenty of underfoot cushioning
- Lots of lace configuration for a custom fit
- Color patterns are a bit bright for some traditional golfers
4. Salomon Men’s Speedcross 5 Trail Running Shoe
- Trail Running Shoes: Featuring an aggressive grip, precise foothold, and protection, the Salomon Speedcross 5 is the ideal shoe for runners who want to conquer soft, technical trails
- Get Rough: Redesigned with deep, sharp lugs for an improved grip and a more dynamic upper for better fit and stability, the Speedcross 5 is the perfect shoe for trail runners who aren't afraid of wet, dirty terrain
- Go The Distance: Whether you love road running in your neighborhood, an escape to a local trail, or something more rugged, Salomon makes shoes that ensure you have a smooth ride on any and all terrain
- Time To Play: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes and gear for kids, men and women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event
- Since 1947 Salomon has created innovative outdoor sports gear. From running and hiking to backpacking, skiing and more, our shoes, boots, bags, apparel and accessories help make any path your own
- Aggressive grip
- Lots of stability
- Good for wet and dry terrain
The Salomon Men’s Speedcross 5 Trail Running Shoe is something that is built for stability and dynamic performance.
Whether you are a runner who is interested in taking on the most difficult trails or a golfer who likes to play challenging tracks in the rough weather, the Salomon is a great choice.
One of the things you will notice about this shoe is that it is very versatile.
You can play on any course in any condition and still get the performance that you need from the shoe.
The Salomon running shoe is also available in a wide range of colors, making it a popular choice for younger players who enjoy the game.
Salomon has been in the sports gear industry for more than 70 years.
In this time, they have certainly learned how to create options that will work for a wide range of sports and activities.
Although these shoes are not specifically made for playing golf, they have everything you need to enjoy your day.
- Very versatile shoe
- Good for a variety of courses and conditions
- It can be used for running as well
- It comes in a variety of colors
- Have to be careful not to drag your feet on the greens with the bottoms of the shoes
5. QAUPPE Men’s Air Running Shoes Athletic Trail Tennis Sneaker
- TENNIS SHOES FOR MEN: The upper is constructed with durable knit material for breathability and flexibility. These are lightweight shoes that save a lot of energy during the day.
- COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOE: The insole is easily removable. It is also perfect for a gel insert to be added. This mens sneakers are soft enough to wear comfortably through the day. You can get one size bigger if your feet are wide.
- AIR RUNNING SHOE: Full-length rubber outsole provides durable traction and cushioning to run longer. You will feel great on your foot as you run on the treadmill or outdoors.
- MENS ATHLETIC SHOES: The air cushion technology built into this style mens sneaker allows for a very comfortable walking experience in an inexpensive but durable sport sneaker.
- Your Feet Will Thank You! It is a great everyday exercise shoe.
- Breathable and flexible
- Durable traction
- Air cushion technology
The Qauppe Men’s Air Running Shoes are our favorite choice for the golfer who is interested in a value-priced trail running shoe for the golf course.
These Qauppe Running Athletic trail shoes will work on the golf course as well as walking or running around the neighborhood.
The shoes are comfortable, and they are going to have plenty of style and durability.
The Qauppe is available in a number of different colors and is one of those shoes that you can really get to look like a golf shoe.
If you don’t mind the more athletic style golf shoes, the Qauppe could be the perfect choice for your game.
In addition to the wide range of technology and features in the shoe, the air running is probably the most beneficial.
Essentially, you will feel as though you are running on air.
- Comfortable and durable
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Removable insole
- Very soft
- Fair pricing
- Longevity won’t be as good with this lower priced shoe
6. The North Face Men’s Ultra 109 Waterproof Trail Shoe
- TAKE ON THE TRAIL. Excelling in all conditions and available in extended sizes, the Ultra 109 WP has a waterproof DryVent membrane, a durable ultrATAC outsole and a robust toe cap for maximum protection.
- WATERPROOF UPPER. Made with a performance-mesh upper and DryVent membrane, these highly durable trail shoes are waterproof so you can hike, splash, and explore comfortably in even the nastiest conditions.
- ORTHOLITE CUSHIONING. An Eco-friendly OrthoLite Hybrid footbed is cooler and drier for your feet. Combining recycled rubber and waste foam, this footbed retains the performance attributes OrthoLite is known for with less impact on the environment.
- PROTECTION & VERSATILITY. Never Stop Exploring with thoughtful features that help you go further — keep your feet protected from stone bruising with the protective Snake Plate and dial in the right fit with an integrated ghillie lacing system.
- ALL-TERRAIN TRACTION & SUPPORT. Hike confidently across a variety of terrain thanks to a high-traction UltrATAC rubber outsole and experience a balance of arch support and rebound thanks to an ESS midfoot shank and single-density EVA midsole.
- Waterproof shoe
- Ortholite cushioning
- Durable lacing system for a stable fit
The North Face company has been creating high quality shoes and gear for many years.
With the North Face shoe, you will find out just how important a waterproof shoe is in golf.
Keeping your feet dry while on the course is very important to prevent blisters and for the overall comfort of your foot.
The Ortholite cushioning on the North Face Trail shoe is built to keep your foot cooler and drier.
In addition, you will be plenty comfortable with this trail shoe on.
If you are going for a hike, playing golf on a hilly course, or worried about a round of golf on a muddy and wet golf course, the North Face trail running shoes are a good choice for golf.
- Durable and high-quality shoe
- Ortholite cushioning for lighter weight performance
- DryVent membrane for getting through difficult conditions
- It can be a bit of a bulky golf shoe
7. ASICS Men’s Frequent Trail Running Shoes
- Synthetic Leather and Mesh Upper
- Lightweight, comfortable and breathable, enhancing performance and fit
- Trail Specific Outsole
- Reversed lugs provide uphill and downhill traction on all types of terrain
- Reinforced Toe Cap
- Very stable shoe
- Protective material
- Mesh material for cooler temperature control
The Asics trail running shoe is an excellent choice for the player who needs stability in their shoe while playing golf.
The Asics shoe has a mix of synthetic material and mesh.
The mesh is supposed to make the shoe a bit more breathable if you are playing the course on a warm day.
One of the things that you will notice about trail running shoes for golf is that sometimes they will be a bit heavy.
Many trail runners have to worry about stepping on a rock or a stone, and because of that, they need a bulkier shoe base.
If you don’t have protection while trail running, your foot could get hurt.
However, for golf, you don’t necessarily need something that is so large and bulky.
Luckily, the mesh material on the Asics makes it lighter and easier to manage when you are playing golf with it on.
The reinforced toe cap won’t really be necessary for golfing except that it can help with wear and tear.
If you look at golfers’ shoes, the toe cap tends to be one of the places where the shoe starts to wear down first.
- Combination of materials
- Rubber sole
- Outsole built for any type of condition
- All shoes have the Asics styling, no blank or more plain color options
8. ALTRA Men’s AL0A4PE5 Lone Peak 4.5 Trail Running Shoe
- Weight: 10.5 oz / 298 g
- Insole: 5 mm Contour Footbed
- Midsole: Dual Layer EVA / A-Bound with StoneGuard
- Outsole: MaxTrac Rubber with TrailClaw
- Cushion: Moderate
- Plenty of cushioning
- Unique traction pattern
One of the many reasons golfers have been starting to go towards the trail running shoes is the traction that they provide.
The Altra trail running shoe has this unique bottom that makes it much easier for players who struggle with turning and control in their swing.
If you have tons of swing speed and you can’t get yourself to maintain balance in your golf shots, then the Altra is the shoe for you.
Of course, with a trail running shoe like this, you are going to need to be careful around the greens on the course.
The shoes tend to have quite a bit of rubber padding on the bottom, and if you step the wrong way on the green, it could do some damage.
These shoes look very cool, and they are going to look good on the course as well as on your way home.
With Altra being known as one of the premium brands, you are going to need to be prepared to spend a bit extra on this shoe.
Regardless of whether you are playing cart golf or walking, this could be a good choice for your long term.
- High quality shoe
- Available in several colors
- Durable traction pattern on the bottom of the shoe
- Tend to be priced a little higher
9. ASICS Women’s Gel-Sonoma 5 Trail Running Shoes
- AmpliFoam Midsole - Engineered to maintain durability at softer densities, providing better flexibility, comfort, and platform adaptability ideal for natural running.
- Ortholite Sockliner - Moisture management (Ortholite is a registered trademark of ATP Manufacturing LLC).
- Trail Specific Outsole - Reversed lugs provide uphill and downhill traction on all types of terrain.
- Rearfoot GEL technology cushioning system - Attenuates shock during impact phase and allows for a smooth transition to midstance.
- Manages moisture
- GEL Cushioning
Men golfers aren’t the only ones who will need a trail running shoe at times.
For women golfers who play golf on more mountainous or rough golf courses, the Asics Women’s Gel Sonoma could be a great choice.
If you are heading downhill on the way to one of your golf shots, you must make sure that you don’t slip on the way down.
With these trail running shoes on your feet, you will have plenty of traction and a much lower chance of slipping on your way down the hill.
Women golfers need to get as much balance and stability as they can in their game.
Since they are trying to generate more clubhead speed whenever possible, the shoes that women golfers wear are quite important.
Don’t wear something that doesn’t feel comfortable.
Find something that makes your feet feel good while giving you the stability you need to succeed in your game.
- Built specifically for a woman’s foot
- Keeps moisture out
- Sock liner for extra comfort
- Not very many color choices
10. Nike Men’s Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 Trail Running Shoes
- A rock plate midsole helps protect your foot, while a Zoom Air heel unit cushions your step in and out of the way.
- Multi-layer mesh upper wraps your foot in lightweight breathability.
- The sole lugs are made for mud shedding.
- Leather overlays placed in high-wear areas enhance durability
- Protects your foot
- Cushions on the bottom part of the shoe
- Multi-layer mesh
The Nike Men’s Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 Trail Running Shoes are a great choice to consider if you are looking for quality, durability, and style.
Some of the designs on these Nike Air Zoom are a bit funky for a golf course, but there are a few styles that can look almost like a spikeless golf shoe.
Nike is known for making shoes that last a long time and have a lightweight feel on your foot.
The Nike Men’s Air Zoom is a shoe that you could wear on and off the golf course, and you will have no issues with its performance over the long term.
If you are tired of what your current golf shoes are providing from a traction and durability standpoint, take a look at these trail running shoes as a replacement.
- Zoom Heel Air unit to provide extra cushioning
- Enhanced durability,
- Great for muddy and wet conditions
- Some of the color choices are not ideal for a golf course
Hopefully, these trail running shoes have helped you think differently about your options on the golf course.
The more time you spend walking and playing, the greater need you may have for some alternative gear.
Don’t count the trail running shoes out the next time you need some golf gear built for stability and traction.